Friday 5 November 2010

Focus Group

For our research into our target audience and what they would like to hear we arranged a focus group and asked their oppinions on what they thought worked best and what they didn't like, we showed them different clips from our show.

We showed them –
• a 5minute clip of radio 1 and what they thought
• a pre-recorder rehearsal of our shows and what they thought
• let them listen to a couple of features and note their reaction
• give them a list of our draft playlists for both shows.

This is what their reaction was to what we showed them;

Radio 1 – “lively”, “fun games”, “interesting topics”, “too much talking not enough music”, “me and my family all listen together in the car and find it interesting even though we are all different ages”.

Our show- “I understand the angle they are coming from”, “technically flawed”, “enjoyed the range of music”, “music felt right for the time of day they said it would be played” “presenter seemed different and he should be more original.”

Reaction to features (Quick Fire Round) as we played them the quick fire round they started to join in and said answers that they thought could of fitted in, we saw this as positive as they wanted to join in and they had a laugh doing it. “I felt the quickfire round ended too soon but I joined in and had a laugh”

(Guess that tune) “make the song harder to challenge audiences because that song was really easy”, “I like the idea of submitting my answer onto facebook because then I can ask for a song and look at the features it offers.”

(Playlists) “they seem appropriate for time of day but the morning only has 6 songs in a hour!” “I like the idea of the news being every 15minutes as long as its not really long news cos that’s boring” “I really love the variety of bands in the afternoon show, I could sit with my friends who have different tastes and all enjoy it.”

We also asked them these questions that we though would be appropriate to ask;

1. How would you compare our two presenters? “they have two different styles and they don’t connect with each other as one company” “Kris is a quick thinker and works well with his guests”
2. Which presenter did you relate to and why? “Jon as I could wake up to him and stay awake, he has quite an unusual tone” “Kris because his topics and his opinion match me and my interests”

3. How did you find their language and style? “Kris’ style fits in with the style of his show and so does Jon however they don’t fit as two presenters on one show” “Jon talks like he is a lot older, his language is a mega contrast to Kris who seems quite chavy”

4. Features? “I really enjoyed Quick Fire but I wanted it to last longer” “I liked the quiz, it was long but I felt the questions were cool and the contestants worked well together”

5. Do you feel the shows followed the company’s style? “the programs are so different” “yes I liked the morning chat and in the afternoon there was more music.”

6. Did you want to get involved? “I played along, if I was in my car I would have aswell” “the quick fire I will introduce to my mates, it would be well funny.”

From doing this focus group it helped us see what people prefer and what we are doing right, they like how we have more conversation in the morning show and play more music in the afternoon show. The features that we had showed them was also a big hit especially the quick fire round which we will hopefully make it last longer.

No comments:

Post a Comment